History of the Library
The Hazelton District Public Library Association was incorporated on December 13, 1948 and has had a few different homes since then. Now located on the sunny left bank of the Skeena River beside a replica riverboat, the Library has been growing into its new home since August 11, 1990.
Most of our funding comes from property taxes through the Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine and we also apply for grants for special programs, interns, and summer students.
Generous members of our community have contributed everything from artwork to books over the years to make the library the special place that it is today. Scrapbooks from the last twenty years are filled with photos that tell a wonderful story of the little library that could.
We currently have one permanent part-time librarian, a part-time Assistant Librarian (21 hrs/week), two part-time clerk (11.5 hrs/week), and one casual clerk. Volunteers and other part-time staff allow us to offer a great collection of books and magazines, regular programs for children and adults, and all the background tasks that keep a library running such as communications, collection development, weeding out old and damaged publications, and providing Reference Services.